Advice for 17 year old school student please.?

Question:My son is 17 and in his last year at School in Scotland. He does not receive any financial assistance (neither do I!) Any advice or tips regarding student travel or anything else he may be entitiled to please?

I can only suggest (as I don't live in Scotland) that you go to your local benefit office and ask or failing that often the colleges themselves have a student help service which your son could go to direct and pick up literature. What about other Mum's/students at the college maybe they can help. You may also be able to find the information on line - have a look at the Inland Rev website I think this give info. too. Good luck.
he should get money from the EMA i think but it's not much around £30 a week to cover travel and equipment.
is he not entitled to a bursary? ask in school office, they should have info from the government to what he is entitled to
anything baby?: college loans, scholarships, college grants & partime works here. Good luck!
A student rail card can be used all over Europe and most shops, cinemas and theatres give discount to students.
Depending on what your household income is he may be entitled to education maintenance allowance (EMA). This can be up to £30 a week.
You said you get no benefits, other than the basic ones I suppose...

EMA is only given to 5th and 6th year students who’s parents earn less than i think £30,000 a year, and depending how much you earn, the more EMA he will get, such as £10, £20, £30 a week.
I think, though I could be wrong, that everyone gets the two £150 bonus

The Young Scot cards are handy for Travel. Everyone can get them. It gives you discounts on trains, buses, etc. He should have got it though when they first came out a few years ago, but if he never then apply for one now. It is technically not a benefit though.

There are other things that you should be getting such as child support; I think that is still universal, with the amounts lowering depending on your wage. So really you should be getting something... go and talk to the Council, that’s what they are being paid to do...

I do not think that a high student can get a loan though, which one answer said... not unless he's in college.uni.

If/When he goes to university/college then there are grants and loan systems that cover travel in them.

Your best bet is the Young Scot Card, which he WILL get. Everyone gets the YoungScot card... that gives him reduced travel costs.
Whatever he gets, and from wherever, remember Mr Micawber saying " Earn a pound and spend one pound one penny result the workhouse, earn a pound spend 99 pence result security". Or words to that effect.
if you earn more than £30,000 per year he is not entitle to anything, but can always get a saurday job, plus if doing more than 12 hours in college or higher education a week, then you can still claim child benefit

This article contents is post by this website user, doesn't promise its accuracy.

More Questions & Answers...
  • Will I still receive financial aid?
  • Where can i find grants and scholarships for college?
  • What happens to the money that is left over from the financial aid grants?
  • Comments i am desperately in need of an urgent loan 30 Mintues ago?
  • Fafsa question?
  • If my EFC is 29774, can I qualify for a subsidized student loan?
  • What is the best database for finding scholarships?
  • Is it possible to get finacial aid if you have 99 or more college hours?
  • Copyright 2006-2009 All Rights Reserved.