Alternate teaching certification with a Bachelors degree?

Question:I was told that if you have a Bachelor's degree, that you can take additional teaching classes, and get a teaching certificate. Is this true for any Bachelor's degree? For example, would I be able to do this with a business degree or a human resources degree?

Yes, you can do it.

I was a Business Major on a Human Resources track. I wasn't happy in my business jobs and decided that I wanted to be a teacher. I now teach elementary school.

You need to enroll in a Post-Bacculareate teaching certification program at a local college. Usually, the schools that are well-known for education majors have this option. You may be able to take courses at night while you work during the day (aside from student teaching). They will basically take a checklist of courses that are needed for a Bachelors Degree in Education and check off all of the courses from your undergraduate degree that you have taken, and give you a list of whatever else you will need. Usually, these are just education courses. You will also need to take some Praxis tests, and all of that depends on what your state requires.

There are also alternative ways to get your certification, but in order to do that you need to find a teaching job in a location that is in dire need of teachers. Usually, this involves teaching in an inner city district, and even more spefically, middle and high school math and science. If this is what you want, you need to call the district in need of teachers, and ask them what the process is...they basically need to "sponsor" your alternate (or "emergency") certificate. If this isn't what you want to teach, you will probably need to enroll in college to get that certificate.

good luck!
It depends on what you want to teach, and what Praxis tests that you pass. You can get a MAT in only 10 months, which is a master's degree in addition to certification.
You can become a business teacher with your bachelor's degree in business. I'm not sure about the human resources degree. To that end, you have to find a university program called "Alternative Route to Certification" or something like that. The program is usually three semesters, including one summer.

Some universities such as University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, will have you start your program as a member of a graduate cohort to obtain your Master of Arts in Teaching, with 9 graduate credit hours during the summer. Then in the fall semester you will take 12 hours graduate credit on Mondays and work at a designated school doing your "Student Teaching" or internship, from Tuesdays to Fridays. The Spring semester you will do the same, 12 more grad credit hours on Mondays and teaching internship the rest of the week at a different school. Your cohort will graduate with a Master's the following summer and you'll be ready to start a rewarding teaching career.

Some other universities would want you to find a school principal willing to give a job under a provisional certificate, as you register for your alternative route to certification program that you must complete in three consecutive summers.

Before being accepted into the MAT cohort you will have to pass the PRAXIS National test of subject profiency. Each university tends to offer different programs, and some don't even offer the alternative route to teaching certification or licensure and would want you to do another whole bachelor's program. Check with your chosen university.

Check also with your state's departament of education to find out what PRAXIS you will need to take. If you feel totally lost, ask for an interview with a local school principal willing to coach you into the intricacies of teaching certification and further employment. WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TEACHING!
Yes, you can get a teaching certificate with another Bachelor's Degree. It is called Alternate Route or something similar. I got my teaching degree the old-fashioned way in New Jersey, and it's called the Alternate Route there. But I am now teaching in South Carolina, via the reciprocity agreement the two states have (most states have a reciprocity agreement, in which a teacher from one state can become certified in another state without having to go through the program all over again). South Carolina's alternate route program is called PACE (Palmetto Alternative Certification Education, I think).
What it is, to my understanding, is to bring in people from other fields of study to the teaching profession. I am not sure exactly how it works in South Carolina or other states, but in New Jersey it was a summer to summer program in which you took classes in the summer to learn what to do; then taught in an actual classroom for a year by yourself (as in, not student teaching) with a class or classes during the year to monitor your teaching and progress; then you took a couple more classes the following summer to give you some more tips/pointers, to discuss how your year went, what could have been done better/differently, etc.
As I said, I didn't go through the Alternate Route, so I can't be entirely certain of everything, but that's the general idea. You can check out your state's Department of Education website to find out what your state requires. Does that help at all?
There are often Alternative Programs offered through local colleges. Check with the Human Resources department of the school district you are interested in. Contact teachers and adminstrators. Consider substitute teaching; this is gives you a very good feel for what Grades and Subjects you are interested.

Do not consider Online Programs; administrators look for classroom coursework.

This article contents is post by this website user, doesn't promise its accuracy.

More Questions & Answers...
  • Where can i apply for a teaching profession?
  • Cosmetology Teachers Exam for New Jersey? Are there any Hairstylist or Cosmetology Educations on this site?
  • How do you get a teaching cerfication for a different state?
  • I am a bad test taker?
  • In which states can you teach without being certified?
  • How to write a professional yet practical dress code for elementary teachers?
  • Where in the United States are teachers needed most?
  • What should I chose for my major?
  • Copyright 2006-2009 All Rights Reserved.